Sauces: Peri-Peri, Sweet Chili, and Mrs. H.S. Ball’s Chutney
Butter Chicken Bunny Chow
1 lb chicken thighs, roughly chopped
½ cup plain yoghurt
2 tsp each of turmeric, medium hot curry powder, ground coriander, cumin and dried chilli flakes
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 x 14.5 oz can chopped peeled tomatoes
2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
3 Tbsp ground almonds (the vital secret ingredient!)
12 ready made mini pita breads or individual loaves of bread, hollowed out
½ cup low-fat coconut milk
a handful of chopped fresh coriander
Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl and coat with the yoghurt, and 1 tsp each of the turmeric, curry powder, coriander, cumin and chili. Cover with saran wrap and place in the fridge to rest.
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium-sized pot over a medium–high heat. Add the garlic, grated ginger, black pepper and remaining spices, and let them ‘marry’ with the oil until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken mix in a couple of batches so that the pot isn’t overwhelmed. Stir and let it come to a simmer, 3–5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sweet chili sauce and ground almonds.
3. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes. You will know you’re close when the color starts to change to a delicious rich burnt orange and the meat is really tender. Try not to stir too often, as this can break up the chicken too much.
4. About 5 minutes before serving, add the coconut milk to the butter chicken and stir gently and add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle over the fresh coriander.
5. To serve, arrange the pitas or bread on a platter with the dish of butter chicken and a few teaspoons on the side for serving. Your can then spoon the chicken directly into the pitas, making individual ‘bunny chows’.
1. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
2. Beat the egg and sugar well in mixer.
3. Melt the butter and along with the vinegar and apricot jam add to the egg mixture.
4. Add the liquids alternately with flour to egg mixture and beat well.
5. Bake in a covered dish at 350 °F for 45 – 60 minutes until lightly golden in color.
Melt all the ingredients together in a saucepan and pour over the pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla custard (or both!)