Antarctica Experience in 7 Words or Less...
Most Memorable Moment
- Seeing newly hatched penguin babies on our very first trip to land.
- Watching a feeding frenzy that involved both humpback whales and orca whales, all before breakfast.
- Celebrating New Year’s Eve in the Grandidier Channel, where it remained light until well after midnight, and then celebrating again with mimosas the next morning on the ice!
- Jumping into the 32°F water and pausing long enough to wave from the water before swimming back to the boat.
- Wearing bathing suits on the fast ice in the Active Channel, because it wasn’t that cold.
- Stepping foot on Elephant Island – twice.
- The wildlife on South Georgia Island – elephant seals at Gold Harbor, adorable baby fur seals everywhere, and the hundreds of thousands of king penguins at St Andrew’s Bay.
- Tracing the footsteps on Shackleton and his men from Fortuna Bay to Stromness.
- Grytviken. I don’t 100% know what it was about the abandoned whaling station, but being able to walk around the buildings on site with such a sense of history was incredible.